Dr Payman Molaee MBBS (Hons) PhD FRACP FCSANZ is a clinical cardiologist with a special interest in non-invasive cardiovascular imaging including echocardiography, stress echocardiography and his particular area of expertise, cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
Payman completed his undergraduate medical training at the University of Adelaide, graduating with Honours in 2000. He undertook physician training at the Royal Adelaide Hospital and subsequently completed advanced training in cardiology at the Flinders Medical Centre and was awarded Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP) in 2006.
In 2007, Payman commenced his PhD and advanced cardiac MRI fellowship at the Cardiovascular Research Centre, Royal Adelaide Hospital and University of Adelaide, having been awarded a full-time postgraduate scholarship from the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia and the National Heart Foundation of Australia, and an additional project grant from the Royal Adelaide Hospital/IMVS. His thesis assessed the effects of atrial fibrillation ablation on heart structure and function, using cardiac MRI. He has presented his findings at national and international meetings, and was awarded a travelling fellowship by the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand to present his research at the Annual Scientific Sessions of the American College of Cardiology in Orlando, U.S.A in 2009.
Payman has completed the highest level of training (level 3) in cardiac MRI. He has a particular interest in using non-invasive imaging in chest pain assessment, preventative cardiology and cardiovascular risk assessment and management, including preoperative work-up. Dr Molaee conducts regular clinics at our North Adelaide, Findon and Morphett Vale locations.
1. Leong DP, Grover S, Molaee P, Chakrabarty A, Shirazi M, Cheng YH, Penhall A, Perry R, Greville H, Joseph MX, Selvanayagam JB. Nonvolumetric echocardiographic indices of right ventricular systolic function: validation with cardiovascular magnetic resonance and relationship with functional capacity. Echocardiography 2012;29 (4): 455-63.
2. Leong DP, Chakrabarty A, Shipp N, Molaee P, Madsen PL, Joerg L, Sullivan T, Worthley SG, De Pasquale CG, Sanders P, Selvanayagam JB. Effects of myocardial fibrosis and ventricular dyssynchrony on response to therapy in new-presentation idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy: insights from cardiovascular magnetic resonance and echocardiography. European Heart Journal 2012; 33 (5): 640-8.
3. Molaee P, Teo KS, Wong DT, Leong DP, Sanders P, Worthley SG. Cardiovascular magnetic resonance in the diagnosis of cardiac sarcoidosis presenting as ventricular tachycardia. Texas Heart Institute Journal 2011; 38 (5): 602-3.
4. Wong DT, Leung MC, Das R, Liew GY, Williams K, Dundon BK, Molaee P, Teo KS, Meredith IT, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Diagnostic accuracy of adenosine stress cardiovascular magnetic resonance following acute ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction post primary angioplasty. Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance 2011; 13 (1): 62.
5. Wong CX, Abed HS, Molaee P, Sanders P. Distinction of “fat around the heart”. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2011; 58 (15): 1640-41.
6. Wong CX, Abed HS, Molaee P, Nelson AJ, Brooks AG, Sharma G, Leong DP, Lau DH, Middeldorp ME, Roberts-Thomson KC, Wittert GA, Abhayaratna WP, Worthley SG, Sanders P. Pericardial fat is associated with atrial fibrillation severity and ablation outcome. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2011; 57 (17): 1745-51.
7. Kuklik P, Molaee P, Brooks AG, John B, Worthley SG, Sanders P. Quantitative description of the regional mechanics of the left atria by electroanatomical mapping. Physiological Measurement 2010; 31: 555-564.
8. Wong D.T, Clark R.A, Dundon B.K, Philpott A, Molaee P, Shakib S. Caveat anicula! Beware of the quiet little old ladies: demographics, pharmacotherapy, readmissions and survival in a 10 year cohort of heart failure patients with preserved systolic function. Medical Journal of Australia 2010; 192 (1): 9-13.
9. Teo K.S, Dundon B.K, Molaee P, Williams K.F, Carbone A, Brown M.A, Worthley M.I, Disney P.J, Sanders P, Worthley S.G. Percutaneous closure of atrial septal defects leads to normalisation of atrial and ventricular volumes. Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance 2008; 10(1): 55-62.
10. Inglis S.C, Clark R.A, Shakib S, Wong D.T, Molaee P, Wilkinson D, Stewart S. Hot summers and heart failure: seasonal variations in morbidity and mortality in Australian heart failure patients (1994-2005). European Journal of Heart Failure 2008; 10(6): 540-9.
11. Dimitri H, Molaee P, John B, Lau D.H, Stiles M.K, Shashidhar, Leong D, Willoughby S, Brooks A.G, Mackenzie L, Worthley M.I, Worthley S.G, Young G.D, Kalman J.M, Sanders P. Atrial mechanical function: implications for catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation. Asian Cardiovascular Disease 2008; 1: 54-56.
12. Molaee P, Dundon B.K. Mitochondrial encephalomyopathy, lactic acidosis and stroke-like episodes in a 69-year-old woman. Internal Medicine Journal 2008; 38 (6): 451-2.
1. Leong D.P, Shipp N, Chakrabarty A, Joerg L, Shirazi M, Molaee P, Perry R, Penhall A, De Pasquale C.G, Selvanayagam J.B. Structural and functional characterisation of new-onset idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy, and its response to therapy. Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance 2010; 12 (Suppl 1): P184.
2. Molaee P, Teo K.S.L, Kuklik K, Worthley S.G, Sanders P. Atrial fibrillation ablation improves cardiac structure and function: A long-term cardiac magnetic resonance study. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2009; 53: A112.
3. Molaee P, Teo K.S.L, Kuklik P, Worthley S.G, Sanders P. Atrial Fibrillation Ablation Leads to Reverse Remodelling of Cardiac Chambers: A Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Study. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2009; 18: S20.
4. Kuklik P, Molaee P, Brooks A.G, Young G.D, Worthley S, Sanders P. New Method of Quantitative Description of Regional Mechanics of Atria by Means of Electroanatomical Mapping. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2009; 18: S154-S155.
5. Das R, Wong D, Leung M.C, Williams K, Liew G, Molaee P, Dundon B, Teo K.S, Worthley M.I, Worthley S.G. Myocardial Oedema Predicts Myocardial Injury and Ventricular Function after Primary Percutaneous Intervention following ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction as assessed by T-2 Weighted Cardiac MRI. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2009; 18: S40.
6. Wong D.T.L, Das R, Leung M.C, Dundon B.K, Molaee P, Liew G.Y, Teo K.S, Worthley M.I, Sanders P, Worthley S.G. Novel Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Indices of Ventricular Arrhythmogenicity after Infarct PCI. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2009; 18: S43.
7. Wong D.T.L, Das R, Leung M.C, Williams K, Dundon B.K, Molaee P, Liew G.Y, Teo K.S, Worthley M.I, Worthley S.G. Safety of Adenosine Stress Cardiac MRI (AS-CMR) Early after Acute ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction (STEMI) Post-primary Angioplasty. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2009; 18: S51.
8. Dundon B.K, Worthley M.I, Nelson A.J, Paul B, Duncan R.F, Molaee P, Das R, Puri R, Liew G.Y, Worthley S.G. The Reduction in Aortic Compliance in Chronic Kidney Disease without Symptomatic Cardiovascular Disease is Equivalent to that Seen in Patients with Established Coronary Artery Disease. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2009; 18: S49.
9. Dundon B.K, Worthley M.I, Torpey D.K, Duncan R.F, Nelson A.J, Molaee P, Wong D.T.L, Bannister K.M, Faull R.J, Worthley S.G. Elective Arterio-Venous Fistula Closure following Successful Renal Transplantation is Associated with Improvements in Cardiac, but not Vascular, Structure and Function: A Cardiovascular MRI Study. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2009; 18: S18.
10. Molaee P, Kuklik P, Leong D.P, Dundon B.K, Stokes M, John B, Stiles M.K, Lau D.H, Dimitri H, Teo K.S.L, Young G.D, Duncan R, Leung M, Carbone A, Piantadosi C, Liew G, Sanders P, Worthley S.G. Assessment of Pulmonary Vein Velocity in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation Using Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2008; 17: S61.
11. Molaee P, Kuklik P, John B, Leong D.P, Stiles M.K, Lau D.H, Dimitri H, Teo K.S.L, Dundon B.K, Duncan R, Young G.D, Carbone A, Leung M, Worthley S.G, Sanders P. Assessment of Regional Left Atrial Function Using Electro-Anatomic Mapping Data. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2008; 17: S129.
12. Duncan R.F, Dundon B.K, Nelson A.J, Worthley M.I, Williams K, Leung M.C, Piantadosi C, Liew G.Y, Molaee P, Worthley S.G. Velocity Encoded Cine MRI for the Assessment of Left Ventricular Diastolic Function. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2008; 17: S57.
13. Inglis S, Clark R, Shakib S, Wong D, Molaee P, Wilkinson D, Stewart S. Hot Weather and Heart Failure: Seasonal Variations in Morbidity and Mortality in South Australian Heart Failure Patients (1994–2005). Heart, Lung and Circulation 2008; 17: S149-S150.
14. Molaee P, Lehman S, Bridgman C, Astley C, Tideman P, Aylward P, De Pasquale C.G, Chew D.P. The poor man’s multi-marker approach to risk stratification in acute coronary syndromes. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2006; 15: S91.
15. Molaee P, Lehman S, Bridgman C, Astley C, De Pasquale C.G, Chew D.P. Closing the gap: Are diabetics still at excess risk with guideline mandated medical therapy in acute coronary syndromes. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2006; 15: S89.