Dr Matthew Worthley MBBS PhD FRACP FCSANZ FACC is a cardiologist with a special interest in Interventional cardiology. He joined the SA Heart team in 2005.
Matthew completed his undergraduate medical training at the University of Adelaide in 1994, with his internal medicine and cardiology training at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. Matthew was awarded his fellowship to the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP) in 2000. He completed his PhD in diabetic cardiovascular disease, which was awarded by the University of Adelaide in August 2005. This thesis evaluated the effects of glucose lowering on platelet function in diabetic subjects presenting with acute coronary syndromes. This research was accepted and presented as a finalist for the prestigious Samuel A. Levine Young Investigator Award at the 2003 American Heart Associations, Scientific Sessions.
He then traveled to Calgary, Canada where for two years he underwent interventional cardiology training and further post-doc research in the area of vascular function both in the coronary and cerebral circulation. This was only as a result of being awarded a Royal Australasian College of Physicians Research Overseas Fellowship. This work in part, contributed to Matthew being further recognized as a finalist for the 2006 Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics (TCT) Thomas J. Linnemeier Spirit of Interventional Cardiology Young Investigator Award, the first time this nomination has been given to an Australian. He was awarded fellowship of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand in 2005 and of the American College of Cardiology in 2007.
On his return to Australia he joined the SA Heart team and is also an Associate Professor and cardiologist in the in the department of medicine at the Royal Adelaide Hospital. In this position he has to date attracted independent funding for ongoing research in areas of coronary blood flow and coronary vascular imaging where he supervises a number of research students. He is actively involved in teaching of basic and cardiology trainees as well as general practitioner refresher courses.
Dr Worthley has public sessions at the Royal Adelaide Hospital and consults at the North Adelaide SA Heart rooms and in Berri. He privately has inpatients at Ashford, Calvary Wakefield and St. Andrew’s Hospitals.
1. Worthley MI, Farouque HMO, McNeil JD, Worthley SG: Scleroderma cardiomyopathy presenting with thromboembolism. Intern Med J 2001;31(1):64-65.
2. Worthley MI, Zeitz CJ: A Case report of Alstrom Syndrome with late presentation dilated cardiomyopathy. Intern Med J 2001;31(9):569-570.
3. Worthley MI, Unger SA, Mathew TA, Russ GR, Horowitz JD. The usefulness of tachycardic-stress perfusion imaging to predict coronary disease in high risk patients with chronic renal failure. Am J Cardiol 2003;92:1318-1320.
4. Worthley MI, Corti R,Worthley SG. Vasopeptidase inhibitors: Will they have a role in clinical practice? Br J Clin Pharmacol 2004;57(1):27-36.
5. Heresztyn T, Worthley MI, Horowitz JD. Determination of L-arginine and NG, NG – and NG, NG’-dimethyl-L-arginine in plasma by liquid chromatography as AccQ-FluorTM fluorescent derivatives. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2004;805:325-9.
6. Anderson TJ, Worthley MI, Goodhart DM, Curtis MJ. Basal Coronary Nitric Oxide Activity is Not Related to the Burden of Atheroscleosis: An Intravascular Ultrasound Study. Am J Cardiol 2005;95(10):1170-4.
7. Worthley MI, Charbonneau F, Anderson TJ. Should we Target Endothelial Function to Reduce In-Stent Restenosis? Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med 2005;2:238-9.
8. Worthley MI, Horowitz JD, Zeitz CJ. Lack of Inotropic Effect of Nitric Oxide on the Rat Myocardium. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 2005;32(7):526-30.
9. Worthley MI, Burgess JJ, Traboulsi M. Bilateral Coronary Ostial Stenosis post Bentall Procedure: Management options in the DES Era. J Invas Cardiol 2005;17(12):680-682.
10. Worthley MI, Curtis MJ. Coroanry Aneurysms and Ankylosing spondylitis: What stenting option is truly optimal? Int J Cardiol 2006;106(3):422-423.
11. Worthley MI, Meredith IT, Worthley SG. Disruption of in-Stent neointima causing acute myocardial infarction. J Invas Cardiol 2006;18:246.
12. Worthley MI, Traboulsi M. Thrombectomy and acute myocardial infarction. Intern Med J 2006;36(7):470-1.
13. Worthley MI, Traboulsi M. Extensive intramural hematoma and coronary artery dissection. Int J Cardiol 2006;112(3):389-90.
14. Worthley MI, Bayes AJ. Fluroscopic Evidence of Prosthetic Valve Failure. Intern Med J 2006;36(9):618.
15. Worthley MI, Anderson TJ, Traboulsi M, Charbonneau F, Curtis MJ, Hansen JL, Knudston MR, Spence FP, Goodhart D. Effectiveness of Drug-Eluting Stent Insertion for the Treatment of In-Stent Restenosis. Heart Lung Circ 2006;15(5):300-5.
16. Worthley SG, Farouque HM, Baldi M, Worthley MI, Meredith IT. The RADI™ Pressure Wire High Sensitivity Thermistor and Culprit Lesion Temperature in Patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes. J Invas Cardiol 2006;18:528-31.
17. Worthley SG, Worthley MI, Meredith IT. Reply letter: The RADI™ Pressure Wire High Sensitivity Thermistor and Culprit Lesion Temperature in Patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes. J Invas Cardiol 2007;19(3):152-4.
18. Worthley MI, Anderson TJ. Transient Left Ventricular Apical Ballooning Syndrome following a Hyponatremic Seizure. Int J Cardiol 2007;115(3):e102-4.
19. Worthley MI, Holmes AS, Willoughby SR, Kucia AM, Heresztyn T, Stewart S, Chirkov YY, Zeitz CJ, Horowitz JD. The deleterious effects of hyperglycemia on platelet function in diabetic patients with acute coronary syndrome: Mediation by superoxide production, resolution with intensive insulin administration. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007;49:304-10.
20. Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Is Thrombus aspiration the appropriate “Remedy”? J Am Coll Cardiol 2007;49:1670.
21. Worthley MI, Shrive FM, Anderson TJ, Traboulsi M. Prognostic implication of hyperglycemia in myocardial infarction and primary angioplasty. Am J Med 2007;120(7): 643.e1-7.
22. Ide K, Worthley M, Anderson T, Poulin M. Effects of the nitric oxide synthase inhibitor L-NMMA on cerebrovascular and cardiovascular responses to hypoxia and hypercapnia in humans. J Physiol 2007;584(pt 1):321-32.
23. Worthley MI, Kanani RS, Sun YH, Sun YC, Goodhart DM, Curtis MJ, Anderson TJ. Effects of tetrahydrobiopterin on coronary vascular reactivity in atherosclerotic human coronary arteries. Cardiovasc Res 2007;76:539-46.
24. Worthley SG, Helft G, Corti R, Worthley MI, Fayad ZA, Zaman AG, Fallon JT, Fuster V, Badimon JJ. Statin Therapy Alone in Combination with an Acyl-CoA:Cholesterol O-Acyltransferase Inhibitor on Experimental Atherosclerosis. Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb 2007;36:9-17.
25. Worthley SG, Reis ED, Helft G, Worthley MI, Fayad ZA. Serial Magnetic Resonance Imaging Correlates with Neurologic Outcome in an Experimental Model of Spinal Cord Ischemia. Spinal Cord 2008;46(3):222-7.
26. Dundon BK, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Very late stent thrombosis. Heart Lung Circ 2008;17(2):144-5.
27. Dundon BK, Puri R, Leong DP, Worthley MI. Takotsubo Cardiomypathy following Lightening Strike. Emerg Med J 2008;25(7):460-1.
28. Puri R, Worthley MI, Nicholls SJ. Quantity or Quality of High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol: Which is the Best Target? Review of Endocrinology April 2008:20-24.
29. Ide K, Worthley M, Anderson T, Poulin MJ. Effect of systemic administration of the nitric oxide synthase inhibitor L-NMMA on the human ventilatory response to hypoxia. Adv Exp Med Biol 2008;605:41-5.
30. Puri R, Dundon BK, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. Thebesian coronary system. Heart Lung Circ 2008;17(5):414-5.
31. Puri R, Dundon BK, Worthley MI, Worthley SG, Brown MA. Drug-Eluting Stent Treatment of a Radiation-Induced Left Internal Mammary Arterial Graft Stenosis. Circ J 2008;72(11):1904-6.
32. Dimitri H, Molaee P, John B, Lau DH, Stiles MK, Shashidhar, Leong D, Willoughby S, Brooks AG, Mackenzie L, Worthley MI, Worthley SG, Young GD, Kalman JM, Sanders P. Atrial mechanical function: implications for catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation. Asian Cardiac Disease-Asia Pacific Cardiology 2008;1:54-6.
33. Teo KSL, Dundon BK, Carbone A, Brown MA, Worthley MI, Disney PJ, Sanders P, Worthley SG. Percutaneous closure of atrial septal defects leads to normalisation of right atrial, right and left ventricular volumes. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 2008;10(1):55.
34. Puri R, Dundon BK, Leong DP, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. Giant Saphenous Vein Graft Pseudoaneurysm Rupture Presenting with Cardiac Tamponade. Heart Lung Circ 2009;18(1):52-4.
35. Worthley MI, Curtis MJ, Goodhart DM, Anderson TJ. Obesity is associated with impaired Human Coronary Endothelial Function. Obes Res Clin Pract 2009;3:9-15.
36. Worthley SG, Zhang ZY, Machac J, Helft G, Tang C, Liew GYH, Zaman AG, Worthley MI, Fayad Z, Buchsbaum MS, Fuster V, Badimon JJ. In vivo non-invasive serial monitoring of FDG-PET progression and regression in a rabbit model of atherosclerosis. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 2009; 25(3): 251-7.
37. Puri R, Dundon BK, Leong DP, Khurana S, Worthley MI. Hypereosinophilic Syndrome Associated with Multiple Coronary Aneurysms. Int J Cardiol 2009;133(1): e43-5.
38. Nelson AJ, Worthley SG, Cameron JD, Willoughby SR, Piantadosi C, Carbone A, Dundon BK, Leung MC, Hope SA, Meredith IT, Worthley MI. Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Derived Aortic Distensibility: validation and observed regional differences in the elderly. J Hypertens 2009;27(3):535-42.
39. Nelson, AJ, Worthley MI, Carbone A, Psaltis PJ, Lau D, Dundon BK, Piantadosi C, Wittert GA, Worthley SG. Validation of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance assessment of Pericardial Adipose Tissue Volumes. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 2009;11(1):11-15.
40. Puri R, Dundon BK, Psaltis PJ, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. Inadvertent Anastamosis of Internal Mammary Artery to Great Cardiac Vein. Tex Heart Inst J 2009; 36(6): 626-7.
41. Khurana S, Puri R, Wong D, Dundon BK, Brown MA, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Latent Tricuspid Valve Rupture after Motor Vehicle Accident and Routine Echocardiography in all Chest Wall Traumas. Tex Heart Inst J 2009;36(6):615-7.
42. Worthley MI, Prabu A, De Sciscio P, Schultz C, Sanders P, Willoughby SR. Detremental Effects of Energy Drink Consumption on Platelet and Endothelial Function. Am J Med 2010;123:184-7.
43. Teo KSL, Disney PJ, Dundon BK, Worthley MI, Brown MA, Sanders P, Worthley SG. Assessment of atrial septal defects in adults comparing cardiovascular magnetic resonance and transoesophageal echocardiography. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 2010;12(1):44-9.
44. Puri R, Dundon BK, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Gross echocardiographic underestimation of mitral valve calcification - A near fatal experience. Int J Cardiol 2010;143(2):e24-6.
45. Willoughby SR, Roberts-Thomson RL, Lim HS, Prabu A, De Scisco P, Wong CX, Worthley MI, Sanders P. Atrial Platelet Reactivity in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation. Heart Rhythm 2010;7(9):1178-83.
46. Leong DP, Dundon BK, Worthley MI. Trousseau’s Syndrome. Int Med J 2011;41(3): 289.
47. Puri R, Worthley MI, Nicholls SJ. Intravascular imaging of vulnerable coronary plaque: current and future concepts. Nat Rev Cardiol 2011;8(3):131-9.
48. Tayeb HM, Nelson AJ, Willoughby S, Worthley MI. Antiplatelet Therapy in Acute Coronary Syndromes: Current Agents and Impact on Patient Outcomes. Patient Rel Outcome Meas 2011:2;7-19.
49. Nelson AJ, Worthley MI, Cameron JD. Regional Differences in Aortic Geometry – pathologic or compensatory. J Am Coll Cardiol, Imaging 2011;4(5): 562-3.
50. Alasady M, Abhayaratna WP, Leong DP, Lim HS, Abed HS, Brooks AG, Mattchoss S, Roberts-Thomson KC, Worthley MI, Chew DP, Sanders P. Coronary artery disease affecting the atrial branches is an independent determinant of atrial fibrillation after myocardial infarction. Heart Rhythm 2011;8(7):955-60.
51. Duncan RF, Dundon BK, Nelson AJ, Pemberton J, Williams K, Rasheed E, Piantadosi C, Leung M, Worthley MI, Zaman AG, Worthley SG. A study of the 16-segment regional wall motion scoring index and biplane simpson’s rule for the calculation of left ventricular ejection fraction: A comparison with cardiac magnetic resonance imaging. Echocardiography 2011;28(6):597-604.
52. Khoo J, Piantadosi C, Duncan R, Worthley SG, Jenkins A, Noakes M, Worthley MI, Lange K, Wittert GA. Effects of diet-induced weight loss on sexual, urinary and endothelial function and systemic inflammation in obese diabetic men. Journal of Sexual Medicine 2011;8(10): 2868-75.
53. Wong DTL, Leung MCH, Das R, Liew GYH, Williams K, Dundon BK, Teo KSL, Meredith IT, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Diagnostic Accuracy Of Adenosine Stress Cardiac MRI Following Acute ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction Post Primary Angioplasty. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 2011;13(1):62.
54. Richardson JD, Baillie T, Nelson AJ, Teo KS, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. Multivessel Coronary Artery Spasm. Heart Lung Circ 2012;21:113-6.
55. Puri R, Nelson AJ, Liew GYH, Nicholls SJ, Carbone A, Wong DTL, Harvey J, Uno K, Copus B, Leong DP, Beltrame JF, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. Variations in human coronary lumen dimensions measured in vivo. J Am Coll Cardiol: Cardiovascular Imaging 2012;5(1):123-4.
56. Wong DTL, Leung MCH, Das R, Liew GYH, Worthley MI, Teo KSL, Chew DP, Worthley SG. Intracoronary ECG During Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PPCI) For ST Elevation MI Predicts Microvascular Obstruction And Infarct Size. Int J Cardiol (in press) 2011.
57. Puri R, Liew GYH, Nicholls SJ, Nelson AJ, Leong DP, Carbone A, Copus B, Wong DTL, Beltrame JF, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. Intracoronary salbutamol, segmental plaque burden and focal coronary endothelial function: novel mechanistic insights From an in vivo intravascular ultrasound study. Eur Heart J 2012;33:495-504.
58. Puri R, Ong P, Kataoka Y, Kapadia SR, Tuzcu M, Nicholls SJ, Worthley MI. ‘Framing the vessel – the critical importance of volumetric analysis during serial intravascular imaging. J Am Coll Cardiol 2012;13:59(11):138-9.
59. Wong CX, Lim HS, Schultz CD, Sanders P, Worthley MI, Willoughby SR. Assessment of Endothelial Function in Atrial Fibrillation: Utility of Peripheral Arterial Tonometry. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 2012;39(2):141-4.
60. Wong DTL, Richardson JD, Puri R, Nelson AJ, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. The Role of Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging Following Acute Myocardial Infarction. Eur Radiol 2012;22(8):1757-68.
61. Wong DTL, Weightman M, Baumert M, Tayeb H, Richardson J, Puri R, Bertaso A, Roberts-Thomson K, Sanders P, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Electro-mechanical Characteristics of Myocardial Infarction Border Zones and Ventricular Arrhythmic Risk: Novel Insights From Grid-tagged Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Eur Radiol 2012;22(8):1651-8.
62. Wong DTL, Leung MCH, Das R, Puri R, Liew GYH, Teo KSL, Chew DP, Meredith IT, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Intracoronary ECG ST-segment Recovery During Primary Percutaneous Intervention For ST-segment Myocardial Infarction: Insights From A Cardiac MRI Study. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv (in press) 2012.
63. Bertaso AG, Wong DTL, Liew GYH, Cunnington M, Thomson VS, Richardson JD, Lorraine B, Kourlis G, Leech D, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Aortic Annulus Dimension Assessment by Computed Tomography for Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation - Differences Between Diastole and Systole. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging (in press) 2012.
64. Wong DTL, Leung M, Richardson J, Puri R, Bertaso A, Williams K, Meredith IT, Teo K, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Derived Late Microvascular Obstruction Assessment post ST-segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction Is The Best Predictor Of Left Ventricular Remodeling: A Comparison of Angiographic and Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Derived Measurements. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging (in press) 2012.
65. Bertaso AG, Richardson JD, Wong DTL, Cunnington MS, Nelson AJ, Tayeb H, Williams K, Chew DP, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Prognostic value of adenosine stress perfusion cardiac MRI in intermediate cardiovascular risk population. Int J Cardiol (in press) 2012.
66. Richardson JD, Cunnington MS, Nelson AJ, Bradley JA, Teo KS, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. Like a House Afire: Cardiac Sarcoidosis. Am J Med (in press) 2012.
67. Wong DTL, Richardson J, Puri R, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Myocardial ‘No-Reflow’-Diagnosis and Pathophysiology. Int J Cardiol (submitted) 2011.
68. Wong DTL, Bertaso A, Liew G, Thomson V, Cunnington M, Richardson J, Kourlis G, Lorraine B, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Relationship of aortic annular eccentricity and paravalvular regurgitation post transcatheter aortic valve implantation with Core Valve. J Am Coll Cardiol Intv (submitted) 2011.
69. Puri R, Leong DP, Nicholls SJ, Liew GYL, Nelson AJ, Carbone A, Copus B, Wong DT, Beltrame JF, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. Coronary artery wall shear stress is associated with endothelial dysfunction and expansive arterial remodelling in patients with coronary artery disease. J Am Coll Crdiol Intv (submitted) 2012.
70. Puri R, Nicholls SJ, Brennan DM, Nissen SE, Andrews J, Liew GYL, Nelson AJ, Carbone A, Copus B, Tuzcu M, Beltrame JF, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. Coronary Arterial Plaque Burden and Endothelium-Dependent Vasoreactivity in Subjects with Normal Coronary Arteries and Acute Coronary Syndromes: An Intravascular Ultrasound Study. Circulation (submitted) 2012.
71. Dundon BK, Torpey DK, Nelson AJ, Wong DTL, Duncan RF, Meredith IT, Faull RJ, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. The Deleterious effects of Arterio-Venous Fistula Creation on the Cardiovascular system: A longitudinal magnetic resonance imaging study. Kidney International (submitted) 2012.