Andrew is an interventional cardiologist with a special interest in Ischemic heart disease, hypertension, and heart failure.
Andrew studied Medicine at the University of Adelaide, before completing physician training through the Royal Adelaide and Queen Elizabeth Hospitals, being awarded the FRACP in Cardiology in 2001.
Following some research into cardiac pharmacology with the University of Adelaide, Andrew spent several enjoyable years in Canada failing to learn how to ski and avoiding bears, whilst completing coronary angioplasty training at the University of Calgary in Canada, incorporating research interests in endothelial function and coronary stent outcomes.
Andrew returned to Adelaide in 2007 and commenced practice at SA Heart and as a senior staff specialist at the Lyell McEwin Hospital. He consults regularly at our Ashford, Norwood, St Agnes, Stirling and Mt Barker locations.
1. Philpott AC, Southern DA, Clement FM, Galbraith PD, Traboulsi M, Knudtson ML, Ghali WA. Long-term outcomes of patients receiving drug eluting stents. CMAJ 2009 Jan 20;180(2):167-74.
2. Philpott AC & Anderson TJ. Reactive Hyperemia and Cardiovascular Risk. ATVB 2007 Oct;27(10):2065-7.
3. Philpott AC, Lonn E, Title LM, Verma S, Buithieu J, Charbonneau F, Anderson TJ. Comparison of New Measures Of Vascular Function to Flow Mediated Dilatation as a Measure of Cardiovascular Risk Factors. American Journal of Cardiology (in press).
4. Philpott A, Chandy S, Morris R, Horowitz J. Development of a rapid loading regimen for perhexiline in acute coronary syndromes. Internal Medicine Journal 2004Jun;34(6):361-3
5. de la Lande IS, Stepien JM, Philpott AC, Hughes PA, Stafford I, Horowitz JD. Aldehyde dehydrogenase, nitric oxide synthase and superoxide in ex vivo nitrate tolerance in rat aorta. Eur J Pharmacol. 2004 Aug 2;496(1-3):141-9.
6. Mishra K, Sage P, Philpott AC, Zeitz C, Horowitz JD. Coronary angioplasty without onsite cardiac surgery. Intern Med J. 2006 Jul;36(7):458-61.
7. Philpott A, Sage P, Stafford I, Murphy G, de la Lande IS, Stuklis R, Edwards J, Horowitz JD. Dissociation of aldehyde dehydrogenase activity from nitrate effect, bioconversion, and tolerance in humans. JACC. 2007:49(9):A420
8. Philpott A, Kanna R, Limaye S, Jenkins R, Horowitz J. Percutaneous coronary intervention without onsite cardiac surgery 1992 – 2000. JACC. 2002:39(9):314B
9. Philpott A, Stepien J, Chircov Y, Stafford I, Edwards J, Sage P, de la Lande I, Horowitz J. Effects of aldehyde dehydrogenase inhibition on responses to nitroglycerin in human tissues. Proc. Aust. Soc. Clin. Exp. Pharmacol. Toxicol. 2003:10:144
10. Sanders P, Shakib S, *Philpott A, Bochner F, Tonkin A, Faunt J. Evidence based management of myocardial infarction: a review of current practices in a teaching hospital. Aust NZ J of Med. 1998:28:867.
11. Sanders P, Shakib S, *Philpott A, Bochner F, Tonkin A, Faunt J. Pharmacological therapies underutilised in the aged population with myocardial infarction. Aust NZ J of Med. 2000:30:303.
12. de la Lande I, Stepien J, *Philpott A, Hughes P, Stafford I, Horowitz J. Aldehyde dehydrogenase and nitrate tolerance. Proc. Aust. Soc. Clin. Exp. Pharmacol. Toxicol. 2003:10:143